Sialendoscopy is a minimally invasive technique used mainly in the diagnosis and treatment of obstructive salivary gland disorders. There has yet to be a report on its use in the diagnosis of metastatic disease. While metastatic cancer has been described in numerous head and neck anatomic subsites, it has not been reported to be found in a mucous plug in Stensen’s duct. Sialendoscopy was performed in a 68-year-old female patient who presented with symptoms of ductal obstruction. Basket removal of a mucous plug was done and histopathological analysis of this specimen found adenocarcinoma. The overall clinical picture, imaging, and final histopathological results suggested that this patient had metastatic breast carcinoma to a mucous plug in Stensen’s duct, the diagnosis of which was made with the aid of interventional sialendoscopy. This is the first report in which metastatic cancer was identified in a mucous plug in Stensen’s duct. Sialendoscopy can be a useful tool to aid in the diagnosis of metastatic diseases in rare and unusual clinical situations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sialendoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of sialolithiasis: a study on more than 1000 patients.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012; 147: 858-863
- Buccal space malignancy in the setting of chronic sialadenitis: a report of 2 cases.Ear Nose Throat J. 2018; 97: E12-E14
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of Stensen’s duct: a case report and review of the literature.Head Neck. 2005; 27: 829-833
- Metastatic tumours to the oral region. An overview.Eur J Cancer B Oral Oncol. 1995; 31: 355-360
- Role of TTF-1, CK20, and CK7 immunohistochemistry for diagnosis of primary and secondary lung adenocarcinoma.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2006; 22: 14-19
- Diagnostic utility of CDX-2 expression in separating metastatic gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma from other metastatic adenocarcinoma in fine-needle aspiration cytology using cell blocks.Cancer. 2004; 102: 168-173
- Global cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2011; 61: 69-90
- Parotid gland metastasis of breast cancer: case report and review of the literature.Breast Care. 2011; 6: 471-473
- Increased metastases are associated with inflammation and matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity at incision sites in a murine model of peritoneal dissemination of colorectal cancer.J Surg Res. 2013; 180: 252-259
- A new hypothesis: some metastases are the result of inflammatory processes by adapted cells, especially adapted immune cells at sites of inflammation.F1000Res. 2016; 5: 175
Published online: March 17, 2023
Accepted: March 8, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.