Denosumab has been suggested as a medical treatment for central giant cell granuloma of the jaws. This study included eight patients, seven female and one male, aged between 19 and 32 years, with biopsy-proven central giant cell granuloma of the mandible. The patients were treated with subcutaneous injections of 120 mg of denosumab in a regime consisting of three injections at weekly intervals followed by five injections at monthly intervals over a 6-month period. They were followed up for between 60 and 71 months clinically and radiographically with panoramic radiographs and cone beam computed tomography scans. All of the lesions became calcified radiographically and asymptomatic clinically. They did not reduce in size, but to date only one patient has requested surgical remodeling. There has been no recurrence or regrowth in over 5 years.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence and disease-free survival after surgical therapy of central giant cell granulomas of the jaw in The Netherlands: 1990–1995.Head Neck. 2004; 26: 792-795
- Giant cell reparative granuloma, traumatic bone cysts and fibrous (fibro-osseous) dysplasia of the jaws.Oral Surg. 1953; 6: 159-175
- The peripheral giant cell reparative granuloma.J Am Dent Assoc. 1954; 49: 141-148
- Principles and practice of oral radiology interpretation.Chicago Year Book Medical Publishers, 1963: 498-505
- Spontaneous resolution of a central giant cell granuloma after incisional biopsy: a case report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 67: 1543-1547
- Total spontaneous regression of a central giant cell granuloma after incisional biopsy: a four year follow-up case report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72: 730-736
- USP6 gene rearrangements occur preferentially in giant cell reparative granulomas of the hands and feet but not in the gnathic location.Hum Pathol. 2014; 45: 1147-1152
- Distinct H3F3A and H3F3B driver mutations define chondroblastoma and giant cell tumor of bone.Nat Genet. 2013; 45: 1479-1482
- Diagnostic value of H3F3A mutations in giant cell tumor of bone compared to osteoclact-rich mimics.J Pathol Clin Res. 2015; 1: 113-123
- Surgical treatment and reconstruction for central giant cell granuloma of the jaws: a review of 18 cases.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2009; 37: 180-187
- Management of the central giant cell lesion: an alternative to surgical therapy.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 1994; 6: 579-600
- Calcitonin therapy for central giant cell granuloma.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 61: 649-653
- Adjuvant antiangiogenic treatment for aggressive giant cell lesions of the jaw: a 20 year experience at Massachusetts General Hospital.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 75: 105-118
- Multiple recurrent giant cell lesions associated with high circulating levels of parathyroid hormone related peptide in a young adult.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1991; 29: 102-105
- Management of an aggressive giant cell granuloma of the mandible with denosumab.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 57: 691-693
- Denosumab as a treatment alternative for central giant cell granuloma: a long-term retrospective cohort study.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 76: 775-784
- Denosumab: an alternative therapy for the management of giant cell lesions.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 873
- A novel approach to the management of a central giant cell granuloma with denosumab: a case report and review of current treatments.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 1127-1132
- Management of central giant cell granuloma with subcutaneous denosumab therapy.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72: 2469-2484
- Alternative pharmacological therapy for aggressive central giant cell granuloma: denosumab.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72: 1301-1309
- Central giant cell granuloma: an alternative to surgical therapy.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1988; 66: 572
- Central giant cell granulomas of the jaws regress with calcitonin therapy.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1993; 31: 89-94
Changes to the indicated population for Miacalcin (calcitonin). US food and Drug Administration, September 1, 2015. https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrfugSafety/ucm388641l.htm [Accessibility verified].
- Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11
- Effects of denosumab treatment and discontinuation on human growth plates.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 891-897
- Denosumab: an emerging therapy in pediatric bone disorders.Curr Osteoporos Res. 2017; 15L: 283-292
Published online: January 16, 2021
Accepted: December 23, 2020
© 2021 International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.