The case of 69-year-old man with a post-polio paralytic limb who was diagnosed with carcinoma of the lower alveolus is presented. A successful mandible reconstruction was performed using a vascularized fibula osteocutaneous flap harvested from the polio-affected limb. The skin perfusion and quality of the bone were good. The donor defect healed uneventfully. Harvesting the flap from the polio-affected limb also significantly reduced the donor site morbidity. This case is novel in presenting the successful use of a free fibula flap harvested from a leg affected by paralytic poliomyelitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Long-term mortality after poliomyelitis.Epidemiology. 2003; 14: 355-360
- Free flaps harvested from paralytic lower extremities in patients with late polio sequel.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 118: 5e-7e
- Posterior tibial artery flap in poliomyelitis patients with lower extremity paralysis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 117: 640-645
- There is no donor side specificity of fibula free flap for complex oromandibular reconstruction.Indian J Plast Surg. 2010; 43: 177-180
- Prior poliomyelitis-reduced capillary supply and metabolic enzyme content in hypertrophic slowtwitch (type I) muscle fibres.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1991; 54: 236-240
- Enhancing host resistance to pressure ulcers: a new approach to prevention.Prev Med. 1993; 22: 433-450
- Lateralization of cutaneous inflammatory responses in patients with unilateral paresis after poliomyelitis.J Neuroimmunol. 1996; 67: 1-6
- Management of postpolio syndrome.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 634-642
Published online: December 24, 2020
Accepted: November 23, 2020
☆Presented at the Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry Association of Plastic Surgeons Association Conference in Chennai in 2018.
© 2020 International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.