Total joint replacement of the temporomandibular joint (TJR) can be associated with intraoperative and postoperative complications. We report herein the occurrence of a postoperative open bite malocclusion, the result of condylar hyperplasia affecting the non-operated joint at 1 year after unilateral total joint replacement.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Functional results after condylectomy in active laterognathia.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2010; 38: 179-184
- Lateral functional shift of the mandible: Part I. Effects on condylar cartilage thickness and proliferation.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003; 123: 153-159
- Lateral functional shift of the mandible: Part II. Effects in gene expression in condylar cartilage.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003; 123: 160-166
- Treatment of hemimandibular hyperplasia: the biological basis of condylectomy.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 45: 353-360
- Quantitative analysis of temporomandibular joint adaptations to protrusive function.Am J Orthod. 1979; 156: 453-503
- The expressions of IGF-1, BMP-2 and TGF beta 1 in cartilage of condylar hyperplasia.J Oral Rehabil. 2011; 38: 34-40
- Alloplastic temporomandibular joint reconstruction.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1998; 85: 631-637
- Mandibular growth anomalies. Terminology, aetiology, diagnosis, and Treatment. vol. XVII. Springer, 2001
- A pathway for the treatment of condylar hyperplasia and assessment of treatment outcomes.Int J Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 21: 43-49
- Das Gesetz der Transformation der Knochen. Berlin – 1892. English translation.Springer, 1986
Published online: February 03, 2015
Accepted: November 21, 2014
© 2015 Published by Elsevier Inc.